Having served from 2006 to 2012 as General Counsel and Litigation Counsel for Geisinger Health System and its affiliated companies, Frank Brier concentrates his practice on the full range of complex cases related to corporate and health care law including employment, insurance, RAC/CGI (Recovery Audit Contract), professional medical negligence liability, fraud and abuse and Stark anti-kickback statute, qui tam, medical staff fair hearings, non-profit and health care compliance, electronic health records, peer review, privileging and credentialing and professional licensing. He represents both companies and individuals in investigations, in trials and on appeals. Frank tried more than twenty complex medical malpractice cases to verdict in counties throughout Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania.
Frank is past president of the Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (2008). He is a frequent lecturer and has presented at national continuing legal education conferences on health care litigation related topics. Frank has been honored multiple times since 2005 with selection as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of medical malpractice defense.
Frank graduated from the Pennsylvania State University and Georgetown University Law Center. Prior to joining Myers, Brier & Kelly, LLP in 2013, Frank was General Counsel and Litigation Counsel with Geisinger Health System, a large non-profit integrated multi-specialty group medical practice and academic health system with six in-patient facilities and approximately one thousand employed physicians.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (President (2008)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Council on Litigation Management
- Pennsylvania High School Mock Trial Competition (Attorney Advisor, Wyoming Seminary Upper School (2010) (District Coordinator (1994-1997)
- 2013 The Ex-Employee: Discovery/Privilege Issues; Council on Litigation Management Annual National Conference; San Antonio, TX
- 2012 Social Media Impact on the Tripartite Relationship; Council on Litigation Management, Pennsylvania Regional Conference; Philadelphia, PA
- 2012 Social Media: Emerging Legal Challenges; Lackawanna Bar Association; Scranton, PA
- 2012 Social Media Impact on the Tripartite Relationship; Council on Litigation Management Annual National Conference; San Diego, CA
- 2011 Electronic Medical Records: What Claims Professionals Need to Know; Council on Litigation Management, Annual National Conference; New Orleans, LA
- 2010 Fraud and Abuse in Health Care: Central Pennsylvania Association of Health Care Risk Management; Harrisburg, PA
- 2009 Ethical Issues in the Insurance Relationship; Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Annual Regional CLE Conference; Wilkes-Barre, PA
- 2009 Electronic Medical Records: Liability Issues. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Committee on Professional Liability; Washington, DC
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- US District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Law Clerk: Hon. S. John Cottone Lackawanna County CP (1994-1995)
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, DC – 1994
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA – 1985
Focus of Practice:
All facets of health care litigation and business counseling.
- MBK’s Frank Brier on Social Media in Litigation Management Magazine
- Pennsylvania Superior Court Interprets Mental Health Procedures Act to include Emergency Department Discharges Following Treatment
- MBK files a Petition on behalf of seven Trustees of The Pennsylvania State University
- Pennsylvania Superior Court Rules in Favor of MBK Client on Covenant Not To Compete
- MBK Files Reply on behalf of Penn State Alumni Elected Trustees to Inspect Corporate Information
- Frank J. Brier, Esq., Suzanne Conaboy Scanlon, Esq. and Nicholas F. Kravitz, Esq. obtain dismissal of lawsuit