Patrick A. Casey joined Myers, Brier & Kelly, LLP in 2004. Pat’s practice concentrates on federal criminal trial and appellate advocacy. Before joining Myers, Brier & Kelly, LLP, he served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender from 1992 to 2004.
Pat Casey has served as lead counsel in federal jury trials involving charges of bank fraud; ERISA fraud; wire fraud; mail fraud; check fraud; credit card fraud; tax evasion; counterfeit; obstruction of justice; and other monetary crimes.
Pat Casey has asserted violations of the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth amendments to the United States Constitution on behalf of clients. Illegal searches and seizures (United States v. Winston, 3:02-CR-278, M.D.Pa.), immunity violations (United States v. Pagnotti, 507 F. Supp.2d 494 (M.D. Pa. Sept. 4, 2007)), evidentiary issues (United States v. Watson, 260 F.3d 301 (3d Cir. 2001)(FRE 704(b)); United States v. Lopez, 340 F.3d 169 (3d Cir. 2003)(FRE 801)), sufficiency of the evidence arguments (United States v. Wolfe, 245 F.3d 257 (3d Cir. 2001); United States v. Zavrel, 384 F.3d 130 (3d Cir. 2004)), acquittals (United States v. Rawlings 3:01-CR-067, M.D.Pa.; United States v. Rhodes 3:04-CR-373, M.D.Pa.), and sentencing departures (United States v. Sweeting, 213 F.3d 95 (3d Cir. 2000)) are some of the litigation results.
- Vice President for the Middle District of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, National Board of Trial Advocacy, Criminal Law Advocate, 2007-present
- Board Certified Criminal Trial Advocate By the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- "Immunity: An Overview" in For The Defense, Vol. 1, Issue 4, December 2016, co-authored with Donna A. Walsh.
- “Can Violating a Work Rule Make You a Criminal?” Champion, (September/October 2013).
- “Electronic Evidence: The Ever-Expanding Frontier,” Utilizing Forensic Science in Criminal Cases, Aspatore Books (2013), co-authored with Donna A. Walsh.
- Velocity: Speed with Direction (download), a biography of Gen. Jerome F. O’Malley published by Air University Press, Maxwell, Alabama in 2007. He co-authored this book with his father Lt. Gen. Aloysius G. Casey, USAF (Ret.). Chapter 10 of the book uncovered a scheme of public corruption by the Nixon White House. Senior members of the White House and the Department of Defense misled the United States Congress which resulted in the unprecedented and unjust demotion of Air Force General John D. Lavelle. General Lavelle’s demotion from 4-star to 2-star is currently being contested by the children of General and Mrs. Lavelle, and is on appeal by Myers, Brier and Kelly, LLP.
- “Lavelle, Nixon and the White House Tapes” published in Air Force Magazine, February 2007, co-authored this article with his father Lt. Gen. Aloysius G. Casey, USAF (Ret.). The article focused on the corruption of the White House and the Department of Defense in the unjust demotion of Air Force General John D. Lavelle. The article was commented upon by investigative reporter Seymor M. Hersh in The New Yorker on March 26, 2007 under the title “Authorizations.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/03/26/authorizations
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Criminal Law Symposium on June 5, 2014. Donna A. Walsh, Esq., and Pat presented on the issue of immunity.
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Criminal Law Symposium on June 1, 2012. Pat reviewed the decision of Missouri v. Frye, 566 U.S. 134 (2012); Lafler v. Cooper, 566 U.S. 156 (2012), and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
- Adjunct Professor: University of Scranton, School of Management and Marketing 1988-2004, “The Legal Environment of Business” Mgt. 251
- Seminar Faculty: August 12-14, 2002, “Technology in the Courtroom,” Boston, Massachusetts U.S. Admin. Office of Courts and the Federal Public Defender, Washington, D.C. January 25, 2003, “PowerPoint and Trial Director,” New Brunswick, NJ, District of New Jersey, CJA Seminar, New Jersey Federal Public Defender’s Office, 800 Cooper Street, Suite 350, Camden, NJ 08102 March 13, 2003, “PowerPoint and Trial Director,” CJA Seminar for the Federal Public Defender, MDPA, Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, PA April 22, 2003, “Trial Preparation and Demonstrative Evidence” National Seminar for Federal Defender Investigators and Paralegal Specialists Ft. Lauderdale, FL August 26, 2003, “Criminal Law Update,” Federal Bar Association and the Lackawanna County Jurist, The Scranton Club, Scranton, PA 18503 September 22-24, 2003, “Law and Technology Workshop for Fed. Defender Staff” Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. Administrative Office of Courts and the Federal Public Defender
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of PA
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of PA
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S Supreme Court
- LL.M., Trial Advocacy, Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2001
- J. D., Creighton University School of Law, 1987
- B.A. and M.A., University of Scranton, 1984
Focus of Practice:
White Collar Criminal Defense and Criminal Defense
- Hantavirus Death: MBK Sues Delaware North Companies and the United States of America
- MBK Laskowski Verdict Included in Top Pennsylvania Verdicts Of 2013
- MBK Celebrates its 20th Anniversary
- United States v. Wright – Important Analysis in Searches of Electronically-Stored Evidence
- Veteran Defense Lawyer William A. Fetterhoff Joins MBK