Kris Fendrock focuses her practice on personal wealth planning for individuals and strategic planning for businesses. She advises individuals on estate planning, estate and inheritance tax planning, estate administration and elder law issues. She advises businesses on corporate structure, shareholders agreements, contract negotiation, mergers and acquisitions, and business succession planning. Kris combines her experience in advising businesses with her expertise in estate planning to deliver high-level wealth planning advice, including sophisticated restructuring plans that focus on tax efficiency and achieving clients’ personal goals. Kris counsels individuals and families on the administration of significant testate and intestate estates, and, together with MBK partner, Bob Kelly, has handled the administration of some of the largest and most complex estates in the region.
Kris is well-versed in advising a variety of business clients, including non-profit and tax-exempt organizations, from the sole entrepreneur to the multistate corporation, at all stages of their life cycle. She advises new businesses on start-up and formation, existing businesses on contract negotiation and legal conflicts, and seasoned businesses on potential sales transactions or business succession planning. Kris has negotiated multi-million-dollar asset purchase agreements and stock purchase agreements for both buyers and sellers.
Kris is a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA), a distinction awarded by the National Elder Law Foundation and held by less than 70 attorneys in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This certification acknowledges her specialized skills to handle elder law matters related to preparing and reviewing wills and powers of attorney, applying for Medicaid, planning for nursing-home care, creating trusts, including special needs trusts, obtaining guardianships, and assisting in estate administration and probate matters.
Kris’ broad professional and personal experience provide her with an insight that is evident in her practical and empathic approach to her clients. Prior to joining MBK, Kris worked as an engineer in the semiconductor industry and served as a judicial intern for United States District Judge Sylvia H. Rambo and United States Chief Magistrate Judge Thomas M. Blewitt. She is an active member in her community, as a board member for Johnson College and a soccer coach for Abington Youth Soccer. Kris brings this expansive skillset to her legal practice and is recognized as a talented and attentive advisor by her clients, her colleagues, and her community.
- New York
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2000
- The Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007, Woolsack Honor Society
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lackawanna County Bar Association
- Certified Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation
- Leadership Lackawanna, Class of 2011
- Board Member, Chair of the Governance Committee & Member of the Executive Committee, Johnson College
- Board Member, United Way of Wayne and Lackawanna Counties, 2010-2016
- Income Tax Return Preparer, United Way, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, 2007-2018
- Judicial Intern for United States District Judge Sylvia H. Rambo and United States Chief Magistrate Judge Thomas M. Blewitt, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Women’s Entrepreneurship Center StartUp, The University of Scranton Small Business Development Center
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Rising Star list, 2010