Business & Finance
At MBK, we understand that business is personal. We get to know our clients, we support the growth of their businesses, and we make their goals our priority.
Our Business & Finance attorneys build lasting relationships with our business clients and are genuinely invested in the growth and prosperity of their business. We often begin working with clients at the start of their journey as entrepreneurs and support them through the growth and expansion of their businesses.
Start-Ups and Business Formation
At the conceptual design stage of a business, our clients face myriad practical and legal hurdles. MBK helps navigate these complex issues and assists with matters such as:
- Choice of state for formation
- Choice of entity (C Corporation, S Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Partnership, Trust, Offshore entity)
- Preparation of formation documents, such as Articles of Incorporation, Certificates of Organization, Bylaws, Operating Agreements and Shareholder Agreements
- Federal and state tax and regulatory filings
- Identification of sources of financing
- Negotiation of investor relationships
- Structuring bank and lender financing
- Advising on optimal capital structure
- Lease vs. own decisions and financing of real estate and equipment
- Employment matters
- Executive and equity-flavored compensation plans
Business Operations and Expansion
As a business evolves, the needs of the business – and the needs of the business owners – inevitably change. MBK attorneys are accessible to their clients as issues arise in the operation of their businesses, and frequently act as outside general counsel to business clients. In collaboration with attorneys across our firm, we regularly advise clients on industry-specific issues relating to taxation, employment, healthcare, regulatory compliance, and litigation matters.
Mergers and Acquisitions
We support our clients’ growth through internal expansion and strategic acquisitions. We also assist clients in the sale or disposition of their businesses. MBK’s Business & Finance team has a wealth of experience handling complex corporate and financial transactions, including:
- Stock purchase agreements
- Asset purchase agreements
- Representations, warranties and indemnification provisions
- Negotiating letters of intent and term sheets
- Acquisition and disposition of real estate
- Multi-generation family business ownership transitions
- Multistate business expansion
Business Succession Strategies
Our attorneys work with successful, multigenerational family businesses. We counsel business owners on the impact of their business on their personal wealth planning. We provide tailored and fully integrated business, tax and estate planning advice, including assistance with management and ownership succession strategies.
Business expansion, strategic changes and market conditions will dictate the financing requirements of a business. We represent clients in their negotiations with conventional lenders, investors (Private Equity, Venture Capital, and Angel Investors) and private direct lenders in complex financing and capitalization transactions. We regularly deal with the negotiation and documentation of:
- Loan agreements
- Credit facilities
- Debt restructuring
- Equity recapitalization transactions
MBK has been advising successful businesses since the inception of our firm – and often since the inception of theirs. We pride ourselves on establishing a long-term relationship with our clients based upon practical, timely legal advice, accessible attorneys, and a genuine commitment to excellence.