A mutually beneficial employer-employee relationship is essential to a successful business. MBK attorneys are dedicated to supporting our clients in their interactions with employees and to minimizing their risk of liability with respect to workplace issues.
Our employment group advises clients on employment issues at the strategic level and in daily operational decisions. We counsel clients through workplace conflict and provide zealous representation when conflict results in litigation. We also collaborate closely with our Business & Finance team to advise on the employment implications of corporate transactions. In addition, the Employment group works together with the firm’s White Collar Defense practitioners to advise and defend employers involved in criminal investigations relating to workplace issues.
At MBK, we understand that employment issues require a robust but sensitive approach that accounts for the practical as well as the legal implications of an action. We maintain close working relationships with our employment clients and support them in the full spectrum of their employment issues, including:
- Drafting and negotiating employment contracts, non-disclosure agreements, restrictive covenants and severance agreements
- Advising and counseling employers concerning workplace and employee issues and conflicts
- Conducting internal investigations
- Training managers and employees on federal and state fair employment laws
- Drafting employee handbooks and employment policies
- Protecting trade secrets, intellectual property and confidential information
- Advising employers with respect to employee requests for accommodation and other matters involving employees with disabilities
- Advising employers with respect to employee requests for family and medical and other forms of leave
- Providing representation in relation to Department of Labor audits and inquiries.
When conflict arises in the workplace, we provide timely and practical advice to our clients. Our employment attorneys are experienced in identifying the pertinent issues and finding client-driven solutions. We are skilled advocates for our employment clients in negotiations and dispute resolution. We have represented public and private employers in state and federal courts and have defended our clients against discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission. We routinely advise clients on issues relating to:
- unfair competition and protection of trade secrets
- non-compete and non-disclosure agreements
- restrictive covenants
- employment contracts
- severance agreements
- wage and overtime disputes, including claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”), Pennsylvania Minimum Wage Act and Wage Payment and Collection Act
- employee benefits, including issues and claims under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (“ERISA”)
- leave requests and litigation under Family and Medical Leave Act (“FMLA”)
- employment discrimination and harassment allegations, including claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act
- whistleblower complaints
- alleged criminal conduct in the workplace.
Employee issues can have a major effect on an organization, particularly in a digital and social media world where everyone has a camera and direct mouthpiece to the world. At MBK, we have years of experience representing high profile clients in sensitive employment matters and we are skilled in minimizing the business interruption and reputational costs of a dispute.
We pride ourselves on having the skills and experience to provide immediate, aggressive and effective representation for our clients when employment law issues arise. We work diligently for our clients and we get results.