White Collar Criminal Defense
With a laser focus on the needs of our clients and 150 years of combined experience in state and federal criminal defense matters, MBK is a respected leader in white-collar criminal defense.
Few law firms bring together a team of attorneys with the depth and breadth of legal experience and industry knowledge that define MBK. We have decades of experience representing individuals and business entities at every stage of federal and state criminal proceedings, including internal investigations, grand jury investigations, pre-trial motions and hearings, trial, sentencing, appeal, and post-conviction proceedings. We regularly practice in state trial courts throughout Pennsylvania, in all Pennsylvania appellate courts, in all three federal districts in Pennsylvania, and before various administrative tribunals.
Our clients encompass a broad range of private citizens, public officials, and business entities in complex and sensitive situations. We represent for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, government agencies and individuals, including elected and appointed federal and state government officials and employees, judges, lawyers, law enforcement agents, lobbyists, municipal and local government employees, health care and other professionals, executives, accountants and financial sector employees. We regularly defend clients who are under investigation or have been accused of the following:
- Bank fraud
- Bribery, gratuities and public corruption
- Computer fraud
- Corporate criminal liability
- False statements and obstruction
- Election and campaign-related offenses
- Health care fraud
- Mail and wire fraud
- Money laundering
- Offenses relating to care-dependent persons
- Violations of the PA Drug and Alcohol Abuse Control Act and/or US Controlled Substances Act
- Ethics Act violations
- Violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act
- Securities fraud
- Tax fraud
- Trade secrets theft
In the arena of white collar criminal defense, our clients not only face potential criminal liability but also the burdens of protracted investigations as well as significant risks to their personal reputation and financial stability. At MBK, we are passionate about protecting our clients’ freedom, reputation, and assets. We routinely represent clients in high-stakes and high profile criminal investigations where discretion and an early strategic response are critical to steering the course of an investigation and minimizing the impact on our client. Our attorneys are experienced in working with our clients and their families and advisors to navigate the practical and legal considerations of a criminal investigation and achieve the best outcome for each client.
The work of our criminal defense team is well respected within the legal community and has resulted in published opinions on significant criminal law issues, including the following recent decisions:
- In re Lackawanna County, 212 A.3d 1 (Pa. 2019) clarifying the authority of grand jury judges concerning issuance of search warrants and the procedure for seeking return of property seized pursuant to warrant.
- In re: Grand Jury Subpoena, 696 F. App’x 66 (3d Cir. 2017) reversing the denial of a motion to quash a grand jury subpoena and holding that communications between target and counsel were privileged and not subject to crime-fraud exception.
- Commonwealth v. McClure, 172 A.3d 668 (Pa. Super. 2017) recognizing absolute judicial deliberative process privilege narrowing scope of subpoena served on judge.
At MBK, we provide legal sophistication, practical experience, and complete focus on the needs of the individual client.