Dan Brier represents individuals and corporations in complex civil matters, criminal investigations and trials. Dan has represented many corporate executives, physicians, lawyers and public officials (elected and appointed) including two Leaders of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, a Supreme Court Justice and members of the minor Judiciary, Cabinet Members and an executive officer of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. He is a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Dan prosecuted a civil claim against the Diocese of Scranton and obtained what The New York Times identified as “one of the largest individual awards made to a victim of sexual abuse by clergy members.” Together with MBK partner Donna A. Walsh, he obtained an eight-figure settlement for a client against a public company in a theft of trade secrets and computer fraud and abuse act matter. Together with MBK partner Jack Dempsey, Dan obtained a $3.7 million verdict against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on behalf of an Iraqi combat veteran based on the VA’s failure to properly treat combat induced PTSD. This was the first verdict against the VA for failure to properly treat PTSD.
Every year since 2011 Dan has been voted one of the “Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers” and and holds an AV Peer Rating from Martindale Hubbell. American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubble selected him as “Top Rated Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense Law.” He is a former Hearing Committee Member of the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. Fellowship in the College is extended only by invitation, after careful investigation, to experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility, and collegiality. Membership is limited to no more than one percent of the lawyers in each state.
- Fellow International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Hearing Examiner, Disciplinary Board of Pennsylvania Supreme Court (2008-2014)
- Mediator, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (2002-present)
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 2014 PACDL seminar “White Collar Criminal Defense: It’s Not Just for the Federal Practitioner Anymore”
- Speaker/Panelist: May, 2012 Masters’ Series, Philadelphia, Strategies for Spanning the eDiscovery Divide
- Speaker/Panelist: April, 2012 United States Embassy-Cyprus; Training on “Trafficking in Human Beings”
- Speaker/Panelist: April, 2008 The American Experiment Religious Freedom, University of Portland
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 2000 Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar on Trial Tactics
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 1997 Bench-Bar Conference
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of PA.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of PA.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of PA
- U.S. Tax Court
- Georgetown University Law Center - 1988
- University of Scranton, Magna Cum Laude - 1985
Focus of Practice:
Complex business litigation including, trade secrets litigation, natural gas exploration, development and pipeline related litigation, health care litigation, unfair trade practices, financial and tax frauds, public corruption, government investigations and white-collar criminal defense.
- Dan Brier Achieves AV Preeminent Rating and Named As Top Rated Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense Law
- MBK Partners Frank Brier, Dan Brier, and Donna Walsh Present on Medicare Recovery Audit Contractor Strategy, Compliance and Litigation
- MBK Law Helps Iraq Vet With PTSD Receive $3.1 Million From US Government
- MBK defends former Pa. Senator Mellow in the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission corruption case: State drops case
- Robert T. Kelly, Jr. speaks at 51st Washington Nonprofit Legal & Tax Conference; Fourth Consecutive Year as Program Speaker
- Frank Brier Presents Continuing Legal Education on Future Medical Damages Under the Affordable Care Act
- MBK Enters Appearance in Philadelphia Legislative Sting Case
- Judge grants Petition to Compel Access to Freeh Report
- MBK Partner Robert T. Kelly, Jr., Named Chair of the Board of The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation
- Nicholas F. Kravitz, Esq. Promoted to Partner at Myers Brier & Kelly, LLP