Dan Brier concentrates his practice on the full range of complex civil and criminal cases relating to public corruption, professional liability, fraud, RICO, theft of trade secrets, health care, false claims, unfair and deceptive trade practices, criminal tax, financial crimes and class action litigation. He has represented many physicians, lawyers and public officials (elected and appointed) including two Leaders of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, a Supreme Court Justice and members of the minor Judiciary and an executive officer of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission in administrative proceedings, jury trials and on appeals. He is a founding partner of Myers Brier and Kelly, LLP, and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
In 2007 Dan prosecuted a civil claim against the Diocese of Scranton and obtained what The New York Times identified as “one of the largest individual awards made to a victim of sexual abuse by clergy members.” In 2011, together with MBK partner Donna A. Walsh, he obtained an eight figure settlement for a client against a public company in a theft of trade secrets and computer fraud and abuse act matter. In 2013, together with MBK partner Jack Dempsey, he obtained a $3.7 M verdict against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on behalf of an Iraqi combat veteran based on the VA’s failure to properly treat combat induced PTSD. This was the first verdict against the VA for failure to properly treat PTSD.
Every year since 2011 Dan has been selected as one of the “Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers.” In 2013 American Lawyer Media and Martindale Hubble selected Dan as “Top Rated Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense Law.” He is a former Hearing Committee Member of the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. For more than ten years he has enjoyed the highest ranking available from his peers in the Martindale-Hubble Law Directory. Dan is a court-approved mediator for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Mediator, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania (2002-present)
- Hearing Examiner, Disciplinary Board of Pennsylvania Supreme Court (2008-2014)
- Fellow International Academy of Trial Lawyers (2017 Induction Pending)
- Speaker/Panelist: Lackawanna County Bar Association Program on Evidence
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 1997 Bench-Bar Conference
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 2000 Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar on Trial Tactics
- Speaker/Panelist: April, 2008 The American Experiment Religious Freedom, University of Portland
- Speaker/Panelist: April, 2012 United States Embassy-Cyprus; Training on “Trafficking in Human Beings”
- Speaker/Panelist: May, 2012 Masters’ Series, Philadelphia, Strategies for Spanning the eDiscovery Divide
- Speaker/Panelist: November, 2014 PACDL seminar “White Collar Criminal Defense: It’s Not Just for the Federal Practitioner Anymore”
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of PA.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of PA.
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of PA
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Georgetown University Law Center - 1988
- University of Scranton, Magna Cum Laude - 1985
Focus of Practice:
Business Litigation (including class action and false claims act matters), employment and trade secrets litigation, health care matters and white-collar criminal defense.
- Dan Brier Achieves AV Preeminent Rating and Named As Top Rated Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense Law
- MBK Partners Frank Brier, Dan Brier, and Donna Walsh Present on Medicare Recovery Audit Contractor Strategy, Compliance and Litigation
- MBK Law Helps Iraq Vet With PTSD Receive $3.1 Million From US Government
- MBK defends former Pa. Senator Mellow in the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission corruption case: State drops case
- Robert T. Kelly, Jr. speaks at 51st Washington Nonprofit Legal & Tax Conference; Fourth Consecutive Year as Program Speaker
- Frank Brier Presents Continuing Legal Education on Future Medical Damages Under the Affordable Care Act
- MBK Enters Appearance in Philadelphia Legislative Sting Case
- Judge grants Petition to Compel Access to Freeh Report
- MBK Partner Robert T. Kelly, Jr., Named Chair of the Board of The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation
- Nicholas F. Kravitz, Esq. Promoted to Partner at Myers Brier & Kelly, LLP